Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tantrum tantrum

This time I’m gonna spill a bit of the “dirty laundry” of my motherhood. I hope it’s as bad as you think, haha!

I’m not a patient kind of person. Though some of my friends might think I’m pretty patient in some particular terms, but when it comes to facing a child with tantrums, I’m sooo far from being patient.

Yesterday, Darren had difficulty napping. For the time being, he usually takes a nap once a day, although sometimes if he wakes up too early in the morning, he’d take a very early nap in the morning, thus needing another nap in the afternoon, and he’d end up having difficulty sleeping at night.

Sometimes it’s hard to tell whether he’s sleepy, because most of the time, like many other super-active kids, he’d FIGHT the urge to sleep to his last.
Lately I’ve been trying to get him used to lying down in bed to sleep for his naps, instead of being carried to sleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Anyway yesterday, I tried getting him to lie down to nap, and he ended up playing in bed, with any possible thing that he could come up with (by this I mean bed sheet, pillow case, etc. coz we don’t allow any kind of toy in bed, other than his lovey, to use Tracy Hogg’s term, a Panda Bear).
I warned him once, at first he was being “nice” and agreed to lie down, only for a couple of minutes before he went back playing.
And then I warned him for the second time, and this time he knew he was getting on my nerves and he DELIBERATELY tested my patience!
Tsk..tsk...tsk... how can a-little-over-a-year-old kids be so witty?!
By the time he needed the third warning I finally lost my patience. I left him in the bedroom, bringing with me his beloved Panda Bear.
He cried and cried in a 5 minutes tantrum, begging for Mommy and Panda, in a very longing voice, but this time I didn’t fall for it.
In the end, I asked his daddy (who was off duty) to carry him to sleep. He kept asking for Mommy, but finally fell asleep in his Daddy’s arms in less than 10 minutes. Yes, he was THAT sleepy!

-Sigh-
There went a little “battle” with my beloved Darren... Being only 16 months old, he’d surely have MORE, BIGGER, more annoying tantrums that I should anticipate coming in a few months, probably ones that would last until he’s 3 years old or so...

Ah... the bittersweet of motherhood....

1 comment:

  1. Oi oi oi oi oi...the hardship of being a mother. Darren is such a strong-willed boy, eh? And he's smart enough to know when he pushes your buttons...oh dear...

    Shendy's just started to teach Ken to sleep without having to be carried and swayed...so far so good. We'll see how it goes...

    ReplyDelete

Ayooo silakan berkomentar.... :)